Charles Bentley is FSC-Certified
Our social and environmental policy is committed to the local community as we understand that local issues have a global impact. Therefore we work closely with environmental organisations to promote good ethical and environmental practice.
We are committed to working with international and global standards relating to the purchase of timber. This includes both the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) which is backed by the World Wide Fund (WWF) and International Accreditation Forum to establish good ethical and environmental forest management.
What is FSC?
FSC runs a global forest certification system with two key components: Forest management and Chain of Custody certification. This system allows consumers to identify, purchase and use wood, paper and other forest products produced from well managed forests and/or recycled materials. FSC certifies forests all over the world to ensure they meet the highest environmental and social standards. Products made with wood and paper from FSC forests are marked with the 'tick tree' logo.
Why you should look for the FSC logo?
- You can buy wood products, from all types of forest, with a clear conscience when you see the FSC logo.
- The FSC label ensures that the trees that are harvested are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
- Parts of the forest are protected entirely, in order to protect rare animals and plants.
- FSC is the only wood certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental charities, including WWF, Greenpeace and the Woodland Trust.
- FSC protects the rights of indigenous people to use the forest. If they have sacred sites in the forest these are exempt from felling.
- FSC gives an assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits of the forest.
- The forest owner must use local workers to run the forest, and provide training, safety equipment and a decent salary. The forest owner is often obliged to support the community in other ways, such as through the development of schools.
- FSC is a market-based initiative which also ensures better conditions for the forest and the people whose livelihoods depend on.
- All the wood is tracked from the forest to the store. Every link between the forest and the consumer is certified to make it clearly identifiable which wood is FSC certified and which is not.
Look out for our FSC®-Certified products
For more information on FSC visit Forest For All.